I remember the first time I saw Meg Otanwa in hit TV series, “Before 30”, where she played Aisha. It was the first episode aired and she really stood out with her acting and looks. She was a somewhat new kid on the Nollywood block but she was definitely going places.
That was in 2015.
Today, Meg has also been on other productions like Kunle Afolayan’s “October 1”, Stanlee Ohikhuare’s “Kpians: The Feast of Souls”, C.J. Obasi’s “Ojuju”.
She currently has a starring role as Koko in Africa Magic’s telenovela, “Hush”.
Here are 13 random (and not so random) things about Meg:
- She’s from Benue state, Nigeria. That’s somewhere in the middle belt region for those of you who aren’t too familiar with Nigeria’s geography.
- She was quite shy and reserved as a kid. She still considers herself socially awkward.
- She’s quite the intellectual with a B.A. in English from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria; an M.A. in Human Resources Management from Time University, Tunis, Tunisia; and an MBA from Jean Moulin University, Lyon, France.
- She’s fluent in six languages- English, French, Hausa, Yoruba, Spanish and her native language, Idoma ( I’m so jealous!) . Her dad and her siblings are also multilingual. This apple definitely did not fall far from the proverbial tree.
- Meg worked at the African Development Bank (AfDB) in Tunis, Tunisia for a couple of years before taking the very bold step of moving back to Nigeria to pursue her dreams of becoming an actress.
- She was part of a stage production on the Chibok Girls, “The Chibok Girls”-Our Story.
- She has no formal training and has learnt a lot on the job. Nonetheless, she has plans of attending courses and workshops to hone her acting skills.
- If wasn’t an actress, she’d be a diplomat.
- Her favourite designers are Uju Estello, Ayaba and Ejiro Amos Tafiri-all Nigerian designers. She’s definitely patriotic.
- Meg loves her beans and plantain!
- She’s most comfortable in casual wears but she does adore wearing heels.
- Meg’s favourite actors: Viola Davies, Charlize Theron, Ben Whishaw, Eddie Redmayne and Leo Dicaprio.
- The type of roles she covets: Rosamund Pike’s character in “Gone Girl”, Amy Dunnes and Charlize Theron’s character in Monster, Aileen Wuornos.
This is one of my favourite Meg quotes:
“No knowledge is ever wasted. I use the knowledge from my life’s journey in my day to day activities…As an actor, one constantly needs to pull from one’s pool of knowledge. So my degrees and experiences are very much in use and will always be because they definitely add value to my craft.”