Today’s blog post is about moi. I figured if you are going to spend time on convoswithcassandra.com, you might want to know a little bit about Cassandra.
10 things about me:
1) My name, Cassandra is Greek and can be translated as “shinning upon or illuminating or bringing light to mankind”. It comes from two root words kaskemai meaning “shinning upon” or illuminating (not illuminati) and aner (genitive andros) which is Greek for “mankind”.
2) I love books and magazines. I love how books and magazines can transport you to distant lands and cultures. One of my favourite places to hang out is at the bookstore. You have no idea how happy I get when I walk into a bookstore. It just feels like Heaven to be in the midst of so much knowledge.
3) I’m multilingual. I speak fluent English, French, Igbo, Nigerian pidgin (Yes, I consider pidgin a language, thank you very much.), and I hope to add Portuguese, Spanish, Hausa and Yoruba to the list. Someday.
4) I’m crazy about plantains! My mum said when I was a kid, the only thing I ate willingly and happily were plantains. I’ve loved them since I was a kid and that stuff just won’t go away. I’ll eat them baked, fried, boiled, roasted, plantain bread, ripe, unripe, mashed, in porridge form, in pepper soup…If it’s plantains, count me in. LOL.
5) I’ve had crushes on Blair Underwood and Boris Kodjoe since high school. I crush them equally. LOL. You know how you say, “I love them equally?” Yeah, doesn’t work with crush. But you get what I’m trying to say, abi? And it’s funny because I actually like them both for the same reasons: They’re well-read and well-spoken.Both are very intelligent, cultured and socially aware-I love me some intelligent men.
Boris speaks 6 languages including his native Twi ( yep, he’s half Ghanaian). They’re both social activists and have been quite vocal about injustice.I also love the way they love their wives and family. You can just tell that they are devoted husbands and fathers. Plus, they’re uber good-looking. What’s not to crush?
6) The guitar, to me, is the best musical instrument on the planet. It adds a certain pizzazz to music in a way that, in my opinion, no other instrument can. I envy people who know how to play the guitar. I’ve been saying I’ll take classes but I’ve never gotten round to it. One of these days…
7) Once upon a time, I was able to act out the whole “Coming to America” movie scene for scene. I kid you not. I know practically every line in the movie. It’s still one of my favourite movies.
8) I can’t get enough of British movies and series. I know a lot of people find the humor boring and rather unfunny. But I actually love the dry and self-depreciating humour that the British are known for.
9) I’m a history and culture aficionado. I’m particularly fascinated by Nigerian, African American Native American and Greco-Roman history.
10) I love Latin dances. I dance a little salsa, zouk, kizomba, rumba and some samba. I haven’t danced in a while and I’m afraid, my moves have gotten a bit rusty. If you know salsa lounge on the mainland, hook a sister up!
Soooooo, now that you know me, I’d like to know you. You can leave some info about yourself in your comments.